Sunday, March 19, 2017

Bearing Witness to the Times: Dealer of the White House

(Shutterstock photo)


Dealer of the White House
(To the tune of “Master of the House” from Les Misérables)

Dealer of the White House
Believe me, I can charm
Ready with a handshake
(If you're not like Mom*).
Tweeting out the tales
Making quite a stir
Voters seem to like a little flying fur.
Glad to do a friend a favor,
Putin says I’m really smart.
I can bring it all together,
Everything except a little heart.

Dealer of the White House
Herder of the cats
Signing orders everywhere
For this and that.
Rallying the base
(It’s really kind of fun)
While I take away the safety net from everyone.
Tell the crowd I’m gonna fix things,
Make ‘em think they’ve got a friend
Tell ‘em anything they like
But you know I’m gonna fleece ‘em in the end.

Yes I’m the Dealer of the White House,
Best there’s ever been.
Got a crazy plan
To really do us in.
Tweak a little here
Take a little there
Making sure the corporations get their share.
Take away the arts and learning
Build a lot of bombs and walls
You can make the country great
Or you can prop it up before it falls.

Yeah, you can make the country great
Or you can prop it up before it falls!


                                                        ~ CK



President Trump meets with German Chancellor Merkel in the Oval Office
  Friday, March 17, 2017.(AP photo by Evan Vucci )




*    *    *    *




The best thing that poets can do is to bear witness to the times – articulate what is happening in the moment; speak to the real life experiences of your people.  I am setting myself a goal to write a poem each week that reflects what I see and experience in the life of our nation... if I can write one poem a week there will be some chronicle of our sacred/tested/doubtful union.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment